Landscaping your yard is an exciting adventure. The possibilities to create a new living space for you and your family in the outdoors are endless. Adding hardscaping elements such as flagstone, cobblestone, boulders, and river rock gives your yard a new dimension and interest. The hardest part of the project is knowing where to start to avoid being overwhelmed. Here is a simple guide to help you plan your next project:
- Think about how you want to enjoy your new space. Homeowners invest in outdoor spaces for a multitude of recreational priorities. For example, is your family looking forward to enjoying a space with plenty of seating and easy access to a barbeque to host large parties, or are you hoping to build an outdoor kitchen with a romantic eating area for two?
- Prioritize your projects. Outdoor landscaping can be a significant investment. The good news is it doesn’t have to be completed all at one time. By deciding which portions are most important to you in the immediate future, you can create a plan to fit your budget over time. Many homeowners begin with projects nearest their homes such as building a stone patio with a paved walkway and expand outwards from there.
- Sketch your yard. Grab a notebook, pencil, and a measuring tape, and explore your outdoor area. Consider how you would like each area of your outdoors to look and feel. Be sure to include natural conditions such as slopes, hills, drainage zones, or drop-offs. Decide where focal points such as koi ponds, rose gardens, or playground equipment should be located.
- Visit your local outdoor landscaping supply. There you can learn about natural hardscape materials and decide which will be best for your home. By choosing materials that match the style and colors of your home, your landscaping will take on a unified appearance. Today’s materials include a wide array of natural stone including boulders, wall rocks, veneers, and slabs originating from locations throughout the country.
- Don’t forget about the ground itself. Before installing hardscape, make sure your ground’s foundation is set with good irrigation, proper drainage systems, and the right soil and bark to host your new plants and foliage. Your local landscaping supply will be able to review your plans and help you determine what you need.
There’s no time like the present to get started transforming your outdoor space. Stop by Hilton Landscape Supply today and start shaping your landscaping dreams. Our professionals will help you select materials to create the look, feel, and functionality your family is hoping for.