Natural stone is a beautiful choice for exterior patios, walkways, and structures, but you don’t need to limit it to the indoors. Many of the same materials that bring functionality and stunning appearances to your front and back yards will turn your indoor living areas into the talk of the town. Natural stone fireplaces bring the beauty of the outdoors inside your home and create amazing focal points for your interior design.
Why are natural stone fireplaces great choices for homes?
- Natural stone is durable. When you build with natural rocks, stones, and boulders, you can rest assured the materials will absorb and radiate heat without damage or cracking. It’s tough to scratch or break a rock, but those with uneven surfaces will hide any accidental wear and tear that might happen.
- Natural stone doesn’t wear down. Many other fireplace materials like bricks can crack and crumble over time. However, rocks and stones will remain just like new for as long as your home remains standing.
- The material is low maintenance. There’s not much you need to do to keep natural stone fireplaces looking great other than some dusting and maybe some light cleaning from time to time. In fact, it’s best to avoid using chemicals to clean or preserve rock because they can discolor it.
- It’s an eco-friendly alternative. Natural stone contains no harmful chemicals that can leach into the atmosphere. Many options at your local landscape supply store are locally sourced, too. It’s a great way to bring nature into your home that reflects your local surroundings.
- Natural stone fireplaces add to a home’s value. Using natural stone in a home brings a unique look to the architecture and lets buyers know that quality materials were used in the construction of the house. In some cases, using natural stone has increased the value of a home by 25% when used in multiple areas such as floors, fireplaces, and outdoor spaces.
How do you choose the right natural stone for your fireplace?
Just about any natural stone can be used for a fireplace, although thicker, rounder stones will be heavier and require more substantial structural elements. However, before you head to the landscape supply store to pick out your favorite rocks, here are a few questions you should answer:
- What is your budget? There is a wide range of costs for natural stone, so it’s essential to be realistic about how much you want to spend before you get hooked on a selection. Make sure to measure the area you need to cover and talk with a contractor about other expenses that will be involved.
- What is the style of your home? It’s best to continue with the theme or appearance of the rest of your home when you design a fireplace. A log cabin in the woods will feel comfortable with a rustic, chunky stone fireplace. However, a light, flagstone fireplace will better enhance the interior atmosphere of an estate overlooking the high desert.
- Where is the fireplace in relation to the house’s foundation? Fireplaces near an exterior wall generally have a stronger foundation than a fireplace in the middle of a room. A contractor must examine the footings beneath the structure to make sure the foundation can support the weight of the materials properly.
Find the right natural stone for your fireplace project at Hilton Landscape Supply.
Whether you’re looking for the broadest selection of hardscape materials perfect for our local area, or you need help figuring out where to start with your dream project, Hilton Landscape Supply is the place to go. We’ve been serving Southern Oregon and Northern California since 1956, so we know the best materials to bring your projects to life. Our team members will walk you through the steps you’ll need to take, help you select the best materials for the project, and arrange to have them delivered right to your property. Don’t let another season pass you by. Visit us in Central Point, and let’s get started on your project today!