Six Tips to Help Your Yard Survive Drought Conditions
With much of the western regions of the United States experiencing drought conditions, you may be struggling to maintain a healthy lawn. The good news is that there are several strategies you can implement to help your yard survive drought conditions. Here are a few tips you can use to survive this year’s and future year’s historically dry weather conditions.
- Look for drought-tolerant plants. Zoning for plants is based on average climate conditions in a region, yet the past several years have shown drier and hotter weather patterns than ever before. While no one knows what the future holds, it may be a wise investment to purchase drought-tolerant plants. Your local landscaping experts at Hilton Landscape Supply can provide you with a list of suggestions for drought-tolerant plants that will grow well in your specific location.
- Choose native varieties. Plants that are already native to your local environment have spent centuries growing and adapting without human intervention. Some may need additional water during especially dry seasons, but overall they should be hardier than their counterparts.
- Limit your grass. Grass creates a lush, soft carpet for outdoor recreation, but lawns require a lot of water, fertilizer, amendments, and other maintenance. Plan smaller sections of grass surrounded by natural landscape or hardscape features. Do allow the grass you have to grow longer between cuts–the extra length gives the grass more sustenance and will increase its ability to deal with heat.
- Feed your plants. Just like your body performs better under stress once you’ve had a good meal, plants will also deal better with harsh conditions after you provide them with fertilizers and supplements. For a natural solution, consider beginning a composting regimen in your household–your plants will thank you.
- Consider ground cover. Keep your soil moist and full of nutrients with a ground-cover plant such as Vinca or a good layer of mulch. Different ground covers provide various levels of water drainage and protection, so it’s best to talk with the experts to determine what solution is best for your specific needs.
- Use a professionally designed irrigation system. Landscape professionals can create a system to provide adequate and even water to all parts of your yard. Using drip irrigation or soaking hoses will keep water at the base of plants to prevent sunburn and excess evaporation. These systems will not only keep the plants healthier but will keep more dollars in your pocket over the long run.
If you’re still struggling with your yard, visit the professionals at Hilton Landscape Supply.
Hilton Landscape Supply has been serving Southern Oregon and Northern California since 1956. We know the region well, and we have the best products to meet all your landscaping needs. Our team can help you solve whatever landscaping problem you’re dealing with, from designing the ultimate gathering patio for family and friends or simply keeping your yard thriving during our extreme temperatures. Give us a call or visit our retail store in Central Point today!