While you may be thinking of “spring cleaning” to get your home in order, it’s also an ideal time to prepare your yard and garden for a bountiful year of fresh vegetables…here are just a few gardening tips
Here are a few gardening tips to consider adding to your spring calendar:
- Prepare your raised beds and other garden areas. Raised beds are ideal for cold climates and areas with poor drainage. A productive raised bed needs at least two inches of healthy, organic materials. You can prepare other garden areas by incorporating generous amounts of organic materials and other amendments. As a note, avoid tilling your soil when it is wet because it will dry into unmanageable clumps.
- Apply fertilizer and amendments. Now is a great time to apply fertilizer, manure, or compost to berry plants (gooseberries, currants, blueberries, etc.) and other trailing berries. At the same time, add compost or decomposed manure around your perennial vegetables such as asparagus and rhubarb. While you’re at it, now is a great time to boost your lawn with a good spring fertilizer.
- Clean up later winter and early spring plants. Once the foliage of spring-flowering bulbs turns brown, the bulbs can be removed and stored for next year. You should cut ornamental grasses to a few inches above the ground.
- Plant new flowers. April is ideal for planting gladioli, alyssum, phlox, and marigolds.
- Start your vegetable garden. You can plant many vegetables now, including broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, chard, chives, endive, leeks, lettuce, peas, radishes, rhubarb, rutabagas, spinach, and turnips.
- Protect your fruit trees. Avoid harvesting wormy fruit by placing pheromone traps in apple and pear trees to monitor damaging codling moths. If you see moths stuck to the traps, it may be time to use other treatments to keep the insects from burrowing in the fruit.
Hilton Landscape Supply is your one-stop-shop for all your landscaping and gardening needs.
If it goes in your yard, you can probably find it at Hilton Landscape Supply! Whether your garden needs a fresh load of soil, a new layer of mulch, or the best fertilizers and nutrients for your area, Hilton Landscape Supply is the place to go. We’ve been serving Southern Oregon and Northern California since 1956, so we know what works best for growing healthy plants and vegetation in our regions. Stop by our retail store in Central Point or contact us for more information about all the products we carry to enhance your garden and outdoor living areas.